Health benefits of garlic
According to Natural Health 365, aged garlic extract has shown significant promise in its ability to reverse the deadly buildup of plaque in arteries. A study conducted at the independent biomedical research facility LA BioMed, Torrance, California, has proven that adding aged garlic extract supplement to diets reduces the amount of soft plaque – known as low-attenuation plaque – that has built up in the arteries of patients.
Participants in the study were already known to be suffering from metabolic syndrome, which carries with it a number of cardiac disease risk factors. And this isn’t the only amazing way that garlic can improve your health. Here are some more reasons to eat garlic:
- Garlic is full of antioxidants that fight cancer-causing free radicals
- Garlic contains allicin, which is an antioxidant that removes infectious pathogens from the skin – preventing acne
- Raw garlic can help control hypertension – again thanks to allicin
- Garlic contains sulfur compounds that shorten the life span of the common cold
- The anti-cancer properties of garlic can reduce the risk of lung cancer by nearly 50 percent for nonsmokers
- Garlic thins the blood and reduces the risk of blood clots
- Garlic’s anti-inflammatory properties ease the pain of osteoarthritis
Include more garlic in your diet
Now that you know the reasons why you should eat more garlic, here is a great recipe. This tasty and filling soup is loaded with healthy and helpful ingredients that are high in Omega-3 fatty acids and great for your overall health. Here is what you’ll need to include in your next grocery shop:
- 5 bulbs of garlic
- 2 Tbs of butter
- 2 Tbs of olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 1 Tbs of fresh thyme
- 8.5 ounces of chicken broth
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 3 cups of bread, chopped
- 1 cup of sour cream
Chop tops off garlic and coat in olive oil. Chop thyme, parsley and bread. Preheat the oven to 180 decrees.
Wrap garlic bulbs in tinfoil and bake for an hour and a half. Then allow the garlic time to cool.
Heat two tablespoons of olive oil and butter in a pot on medium heat.
Add onions and cook for ten minutes.
Once garlic has cooled, mash it with a fork and add to the pot. Then add herbs and chicken broth.
Cook on low before adding bread and cooking for five more minutes until bread cubes soften. Pour into a blender and process until smooth. Add sour cream, salt and pepper to taste – then serve and enjoy!