Philippines to charge Sanofi officials over dengue vaccination deaths

Sanofi's dengue vaccine Dengvaxia was recalled in the Philippines in  December 2017

 

READ MORE AT MEDICAL X-PRESS 

The Philippine government said Friday it would file criminal charges against six officials of the French pharmaceutical firm Sanofi Pasteur over the deaths of children injected with its Dengvaxia anti-dengue vaccine.

The disclosure sparked a nationwide panic, with some parents alleging the vaccine killed their children.

The controversy also triggered a vaccine scare that the government said was a factor behind measles outbreaks that the UN Children’s Fund said have killed 203 people so far this year.

The justice department said on Friday its prosecutors found grounds to hold Sanofi officials criminally liable and that charges of “reckless imprudence resulting to homicide” will be filed in court, but gave no timeframe.

The department said the charges were based on an investigation into the deaths of 10 children, adding other complaints were still being probed.

“Members of the board of Sanofi Pasteur actively advertised, in fact marketed the drug, despite knowledge of the risks involved in the vaccine, despite knowledge of the risks involved in its use,” justice department spokesman Markk Perete said.

“Later on when certain deaths and other medical emergencies arose, they did not render assistance to the victims and their family … It’s a crime by neglect,” he told AFP.

The department said the crime is punishable by up to six years in prison.

Sanofi on Friday criticised Manila’s decision to file charges and vowed to defend the officials.

“We strongly disagree with the conclusions reached against Sanofi and certain of its employees and we will defend them vigorously,” the group said in a written statement.

Sanofi has repeatedly said the vaccine is safe, noting in a March 2018 statement: “No causal-related deaths were reported in 15 countries after clinical trials conducted for more than a decade with 40,000 subjects involved.”

Current and former officials of the health department will also be charged, the justice department said, adding complaints against two other Sanofi executives were dismissed.

Dengue, or haemorrhagic fever, is the world’s most common mosquito-borne virus and infects an estimated 390 million people in more than 120 countries each year—killing more than 25,000 of them, according to the World Health Organization.

Friday’s announcement comes less than two weeks after the Philippine Food and Drug Administration permanently banned the sale, import and distribution of Dengvaxia.

Manila stopped the public immunisation programme shortly after Sanofi’s 2017 disclosure.

Source: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-03-philippines-sanofi-dengue-vaccination-deaths.html

One thought on “Philippines to charge Sanofi officials over dengue vaccination deaths

  1. I head this story on the radio – what a ridiculous scenario it is.
    There’s ore to come – Australia political arena is not the worlds say so – nor is Brit’s nor the Good Ol’ US of A’s.

    6 Old Liberal party members to resign & several Labor Party members to call it quits.
    Abdicating before the shit hits the fan no doubt.
    It will be interesting to discover just how many BILLIONS & TRILLIONS the Australian Political Arena has pull out of thin air to finance making themselves & their buddies filthy rich ??
    Future monies that will be repaid by us & our beloved nation.
    The money to finance the compulsory vaccination of Australia wasn’t delivered to them by Santa & his reindeer, that’s for sure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *