Igor Curcio heads a team of researchers at the Nokia Research Center has developed complicated algorithms that can take clips of thousands of films, and create a movie that is seamless and perfectly matched with an audio track.
Right now Google and YouTube assist corporations in mining for information on internet users by tracking what videos they watch. From there, a profile is derived from preferences.
The move toward utilizing computers to collect and decipher information is being seen across the intelligence community. On the US-Mexican border, developments are moving toward using computers to track border-crossers, film them with video cameras, and use software programs to analyze the data.
The Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA) is a US governmental research agency that:
• Shares information with other US Intelligence Communities (IC)
• Fills in the gap between other agencies
• Provides innovations in line with business models
• Provides intelligence concepts that surprise enemies
Lisa Porter, former head of NASA, directs projects at IARPA on everything from cyberspace to biometrics.
IARPA is divided into 3 offices.
- The Office of Smart Collection was created to “dramatically improve the value of collected data from all sources.”
- The Office of Incisive Analysis will “maximize insight from the information we collect, in a timely fashion.”
- The Office of Safe & Secure Operations exists to “counter new capabilities implemented by our adversaries that would threaten our ability to operate freely and effectively in a networked world.”